Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist ( License #103657 )
Owner and Founder of Tailwinds Therapy
Hi there! I am Caitlin Lowry and I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and the owner and founder of a small group therapy practice in Clovis, California called Tailwinds Therapy.
Since 2012, I have been helping individuals and families work through anxiety, depression, trauma, grief and loss, and difficult life transitions. I am devoted to helping my clients find solutions to their struggles through individualized treatment tailored to their needs.
After working as a therapist in community mental health for the start of my career, I decided to pursue my passion to begin incorporating animal-assisted therapy interventions into my work with clients.
In 2018, I became certified through through the Equine Assisted Growth And Learning Association (EAGALA) as both the mental health professional and equine specialist to begin offering Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) and Equine Assisted Learning Activities (EAL) to our community.
In 2019, I started Tailwinds Therapy to begin offering in office, online, and Equine Assisted Services to offer clients multiple approaches to therapy and healing.
My history with horses started way back in Kindergarten when one of my friends started taking riding lessons. I was intrigued, and a little jealous, so I wanted to ride too. At the time, I was in ballet and my mom had her heart set on me becoming a prima ballerina. I had other ideas.
Long story short, I traded ballet slippers for boots and bows for buckles and ended up becoming a passionate horsewoman. I trained competitively and found a love for English riding, jumping, and the Appaloosa breed.
Over the years, my focus shifted to school and I began riding just for pleasure. I was pursuing a degree in Psychology at California State University of Fresno when I learned that people were incorporating working with horses into therapy. Once I realized I could combine my love of helping people with my passion for horses, there was no turning back.
I graduated with my Masters in Counseling in 2012 and added my Pupil Personnel Services credential in 2013. While in graduate school, I gained opportunities to work and volunteer in providing EAP with school aged youth in several at-risk populations. I found a passion in working with adolescents and young adults. I can remember what it was like at that age and how difficult that time of life can be to navigate.
I have continued my education and training to become a trauma-informed therapist who specializes in treating individuals experiencing trauma-related mental health concerns, anxiety, depression, grief and loss, and helping clients navigate difficult life transitions.
I love connecting with my clients and helping them discover individualized solutions to their problems. And while I do offer traditional office-based sessions, I wanted to offer my clients an alternative for when the feelings seem to difficult to just talk through.
EAP offers a unique opportunity for self-discovery and growth through interactions with horses. As prey animals, horses live fully in the present and are keenly aware of their surroundings. Additionally, as herd animals, they have complex understandings of relationships and quickly and easily read the emotions of others, including humans. The second you interact with a horse they know what you are feeling and will reflect it right back to you in the most honest of ways.
This allows us to get a clear picture of our internal state while working with the horses and lends a chance to make adjustments to move through that feeling into a more positive mental state.
I truly feel honored to have the opportunity to offer this service in our community and I look forward to meeting you. .
Degrees and Licenses:
California State University of Fresno (August 2008-May 2013)
Pupil Personnel Services Credential May 2013, With Distinction
M.S. Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, December 2012, With Distinction
B.A. Psychology, December 2010 , Summa Cum Laude
Board of Behavioral Sciences:
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT #103657) Exp: 11/30/2023
Additional Trainings and Certifications:
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2012
- Hmong Culture 101 Holistic Cultural and Education Wellness Center, December 2012 Fresno, Ca
- Multicultural Training Fresno Family Counseling Center, December 2012, Fresno, Ca
- QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer: Suicide Assessment Training), December 2012 CSU Fresno, Fresno, Ca
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2014
- Anxiety Disorders: Effective Strategies That Work, Fresno, Ca June 2014 (full day)
- Preparing the Brain for Play Therapy, California Association for Play Therapy, September 2014, Fresno, Ca
- Trauma-Focused CBT, Online training, October 2014
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2015
- Understanding and Treating Survivors of Female Perpetrated Sex Abuse, Fresno, Ca June 2015
- Adoption 101, Infant of Prague, Fresno, Ca May 2015
- Child Centered Play Therapy, DVD workshop, Fresno, Ca
- Filial Therapy, DVD workshop, Fresno, Ca
- Overcoming Resistance: Engaging Parents in Play Therapy, DVD workshop, Fresno, Ca
- Theraplay Level 1, March 2015, Fresno, Ca (4 day training)
- DSM 5 Training, CIBHS,July 2015, Fresno, Ca (full day)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for The Real World, August 2015, Fresno, Ca (full day)
- Motivational Interviewing, September 2015, Fresno, Ca (full day)
- Nurturing Attachments August 2015, Fresno, Ca
- SOGIE Education (Sexual Orientation Gender Identity Expression), California Youth Connection, January 2015, Fresno, Ca
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2018
- Play Therapy: Supporting Emotional Development and Self-Regulation, Fresno, Ca February 2018
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (Our Most Challenging Clients in Child Welfare), Webinar, August 2018
- Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (EAGALA) certified professional in equine assisted psychotherapy (ES and MH), December 2018, Norco, Ca (5 day intensive)
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2019
- Dr. Bruce Perry Training: Trauma & Adversity in Early Childhood and How We Can Help, Napa, CA, May 2019 (full day)
- Maternal Mental Health, Central Valley Family Therapy, August 2019 (full day)
- Motivational Interviewing, September 2019, Fresno, Ca (full day)
- Ethics: Reconsidering Dual Relationships (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- Secrets and Lies: The Ethics of Truth in Therapy (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- Professional Wills (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- Social Media Ethics for Mental Health Professionals (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- Ethical Issues in Couple and Family Therapy (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- Emotional Support Animal Letter Writing (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2019
- HIV and Aids (CE4Less online) November 2019
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2020 (Eagala CEUS)
- EAGALA 20/20 Conference (virtual attendance) 20 hours of CEUs
- Courageous Encounters with the Herd (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Assessment and Treatment of Childhood Trauma (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Human Trafficking (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- The State of Animal Assisted and Equine Assisted Interventions- A New Paradigm Shift for the Future (Aubrey Fine) (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Nurturing an Eagala Herd and Finding Equality in the Treatment Team (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Taking Care of the Alpha: The Herd Approach (Ethics) (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Secondary Stress: Caring for Ourselves and Others (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- A Match Made in Heaven: Eagala Model & Play Therapy (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Straight from the Horses’ Mouths: Business Leaders’ Discussion about Eagala Model Companies (2 hours) (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Eagala Ethics Webinar with Dora Mohler (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Using The Eagala Model to Grow and Manage Our Business (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Get Your Revenue Flowing Again-Marketing Webinar (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- Setting the Stage For Success! Generating Revenue through Action! (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- EAGALA SKILL-SETS GROUP MENTORING (4-6-18) (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
- EAGALA SKILL-SETS GROUP MENTORING (7-13-19) (Eagala CEU/ 2020 renewal)
TRAININGS COMPLETED IN 2021
- Suicide Intervention, Assessment, and Prevention (Simple Practice online Webinar) July 2021 (6hrs)
- Informed Consent: New Additions (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1hr)
- Panic Attacks: A Brief Intervention (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1hr)
- CA Telehealth Law (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1hr)
- Telehealth: Legal and Ethical Issues (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1hr)
- Ethics: Self-Disclosure in Therapy (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1.5hrs)
- Ongoing HIPAA Compliance (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (1.5hrs)
- Ethics in Mental Health Supervision (Simple Practice online Webinar) (3hrs)
- Online Supervision in Mental Health (Simple Practice online Webinar) (3hrs)
- Supervision in Mental Healthcare (Simple Practice online Webinar) (6 hrs)
- Internal Family Systems: A Step-by-Step Guide Through Clinical Applications of the IFS Model (Online Course) (12 hrs)
- Documentation 101 (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (Non-CEU credit)
- Money 101 for Private Practice: Accounting and Bookkeeping (Simple Practice online Webinar) November 2021 (Non-CEU credit)
Putting Polyvagal Theory into Practice: Nervous-system based Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma and more (Digital Seminar) (6 hours)
California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT): Lifetime member
Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (EAGALA): Active and certified member since 2018